Skip to main content

January 3

To date I have

Cleaned up a SharePoint data share for consistency around projects

Migrated multiple teams into a new Jira project

Created new Scrum boards and SOS boards for all those moved teams

Created a first stab at an overview board so one can see all in progress, upcoming, and backlog work - with filters for teams

Have been managing Jira (workflow, post-status functions) and I need to learn more to accomplish more. I current setup anything going to status "completed" gets resolution: done and "rejected" gets "won't do" to help with built in default reports, dashboard items and reporting.

Decided I must learn to write Jira reports and Dashboard widgets to remove wasted redundant weekly work on writing reports and status updates - when all the data should be in Jira.

I'm still trying to get a handle on everything but my goal I was given was
1. Visibility into what we are doing and need to do
2. Ability to estimate upcoming requests (this gets into creating templates, automation, processes)

My person objective on top of the above is to remove as much wasted time (duplicate work, non value added work) from team members as I can.
Specifically I want them to log hours in jira, but in return provide them a weekly pay report to input to the pay system, and a weekly status report to provide to their manager (adding comments). I want scrum masters to be able to have reports on epics, and sprints, be self service and self evident. I also would like sprint planning (allotment of hours per person, even cross team) to also be available as a tool for scrum masters, and a report visible at a whole group level as well.

I need to now clean the migrated Jira backlog and get it into a semblance of compliance and iterate on the fields and statuses.

I also need to get ready for the upcoming sprint, Grooming did not go smoothly this time, or last time.

I also need to get everything to stop being in emails, and unique - repeatable (documented!) processes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do I find the Custom Field ID in Jira Cloud?

So you need to find the Custom Field ID in Jira Cloud. Perhaps you need the ID for a custom field to work on soem code, an API call or a script. How do you find it? You can find the ID in the URL when managing custom fields Jira - Settings - Issues - Fields - Custom Fields https://***.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa Select "Edit" on the desired custom field .../admin/EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=12802 There you go! It is that number at the end of the URL Alternately, you can use ScriptRunner Jira - Setttings - Add-ons - Script Runner - Script Console and run the following def issueKey = '***-####' def result = get('/rest/api/2/issue/' + issueKey)         .header('Content-Type', 'application/json')         .asObject(Map) if (result.status == 200){     return result.body.fields } else {     return "Failed to find issue: Status: ${result.status} ${result.body}"

When Hiring (Job Posts)

I know this is not about Agile specifically but I wanted to share how I craft Job Posts when hiring, I would love to continue to improve my process. When writing a Job Post I do the following; Have boilerplate about the company itself. Yes, the candidate should dig more but you want them to want to apply and want to research. Describe the Role, where the department fits within the company, what the team/departments purpose is, and what normal activities the job will encompass. Indicate the type of person/passions which would work well List requirements , real requirements, this should be 5 or less, these should be demonstrable items Demonstrable - Upbeat attitude is not easy to demonstrate, for example Always have alternatives to a major! Great technical people can have humanities majors – i.e. use “or equivalent experience” List bonuses/ nice to have /additional items that a candidate would benefit by having Explain the benefits of the company (should be boilerplate tal

Sprint Planning - Poker

Here are some free resources I plan to try for sprint planning. Let me know what you think if you enjoy doing planning poker as your given method of story-pointing and try these or have others to recommend. http://www.votingpoker.com http://firepoker.io/#/ https://www.pointingpoker.com/ https://scrumpoker.online/ https://play.planningpoker.com/plans https://scrumpoker.online/ https://tools.wmflabs.org/hatjitsu/