Skip to main content

First week

In my first week I had to do the normal onboarding activities (hr paperwork, acquire logins, learn my way around, meet people, get my computer).

My personal goal for the week was to get a feeling for the type of work the teams I would be working with do, what agile rituals were happening, a high level summary of the projects in flight, and an idea of where we fit within the company. I also wanted to confirm why I was hired,
And what my bosses first improvement objectives and expectations were.

I had a slight miss understanding of which team I would start with but otherwise, I believe I reached my goals for the week.

I will be working with one developer team that currently has three week sprints, does daily scrum standups, has worked in Kanban at points, does not seem to have a regular scheduled retrospective (but has done them), does not seem to have regular demos, and I need to assess the quality of their backlog /grooming, and sprint kickoffs.

The team has mostly dedicated developers, with as needed sharing across teams. They are a mix of on site and offshore contractors. The team has an analyst resource which is shared. The scrum master was the lead developer.

My boss would like to be able to predict delivery dates after assessing an incoming request, and after that work to speed up that predictable date.

To accomplish that I need to assess:
-Story points are consistent within a team
-hours are being recorded
-non project time is being recorded so that I can
--make sure resources, especially when shared, are not over committed
--identify earlier when stories are going to roll to the next sprint and how that will impact completion date
--is there any recurring non project work that can be automated, decreased, or eliminated
-calculate velocity, average velocity, trends
-see if I can track waiting times
-work to document, and make templates, for recurring work. For example, there are a consistent sort of incoming new projects the team gets, can we have a clear checklist to make sure we have done everything to intake the project and not need to wait to start work. Can any parts be automated? Can the story epic, cards, task be automatically created and then tweaked, will this then allow us to predict accurately delivery dates assuming no unexpected work or resource changes.

I want to work to make sure everything is in jira (our project tracker) and I want to work to make all information that is needed regularly reports, and ideally self-service as soon as I can. Manual manipulation to create reports can lead to inconsistencies and is a waste of time. Also visibility into everything (status, risks, allocation) can allow the team to to work smarter, inform customers of changes or impacts earlier on, and means that one resource never needs to be waited on to get that view (the analyst or product manager or project manager or scrum master).

I also want to use the data to find the simple yet time-consuming tasks (ratio story points to work logged, work logged on identical repeat tasks) to automate.

I also want to try and reduce redundancy of work as that improves everyone's work life.

I will be taking on additional teams in the coming sprints.

I have started working with scrum masters within our group and groups in our division. I hope to work with them to come up with shared standards, term definitions, and practices as well as be able to share ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do I find the Custom Field ID in Jira Cloud?

So you need to find the Custom Field ID in Jira Cloud. Perhaps you need the ID for a custom field to work on soem code, an API call or a script. How do you find it? You can find the ID in the URL when managing custom fields Jira - Settings - Issues - Fields - Custom Fields https://***.atlassian.net/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa Select "Edit" on the desired custom field .../admin/EditCustomField!default.jspa?id=12802 There you go! It is that number at the end of the URL Alternately, you can use ScriptRunner Jira - Setttings - Add-ons - Script Runner - Script Console and run the following def issueKey = '***-####' def result = get('/rest/api/2/issue/' + issueKey)         .header('Content-Type', 'application/json')         .asObject(Map) if (result.status == 200){     return result.body.fields } else {     return "Failed to find issue: Status: ${result.status} ${result.body}"

When Hiring (Job Posts)

I know this is not about Agile specifically but I wanted to share how I craft Job Posts when hiring, I would love to continue to improve my process. When writing a Job Post I do the following; Have boilerplate about the company itself. Yes, the candidate should dig more but you want them to want to apply and want to research. Describe the Role, where the department fits within the company, what the team/departments purpose is, and what normal activities the job will encompass. Indicate the type of person/passions which would work well List requirements , real requirements, this should be 5 or less, these should be demonstrable items Demonstrable - Upbeat attitude is not easy to demonstrate, for example Always have alternatives to a major! Great technical people can have humanities majors – i.e. use “or equivalent experience” List bonuses/ nice to have /additional items that a candidate would benefit by having Explain the benefits of the company (should be boilerplate tal

Sprint Planning - Poker

Here are some free resources I plan to try for sprint planning. Let me know what you think if you enjoy doing planning poker as your given method of story-pointing and try these or have others to recommend. http://www.votingpoker.com http://firepoker.io/#/ https://www.pointingpoker.com/ https://scrumpoker.online/ https://play.planningpoker.com/plans https://scrumpoker.online/ https://tools.wmflabs.org/hatjitsu/